Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Mercury Senior Master Technician
9600325

Broke down, just stopped. was told on board computer not

Customer Question

broke down, just stopped. was told on board computer not sending messages. Is this possible or just trying to pad the bill???
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: Milan 2009
JA: Are you fixing your Milan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Broke down near a station, so got towed there. They looked and said its the computer. Any problems or recall with computer?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Computer test says no ignition thru the 6 ignition wires?? Mechanic said needs all new wires, is that a common problem with this?
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: The mechanic diagnoised the car and said it needed a new on board computer and all new ignition wires,
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

I have seen several engine computers loose coil drivers. The coils draw too much current and cause the drivers to fail. Ask him more specifically if there is no ground pulse from the computer to the coils. Also ask him if the coils all are receiving voltage. If that is the issue then I would have no problem believing him. Usually the repair is to replace the engine computer and all of the ignition coils.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there a recall or refund
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

I can check if you have the VIN#

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not sure I'm not with the car
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

OK, from memory I do not recall any recall or refund for this issue with this model year.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

I was able to double check the Ford database. No recalls for this concern on your vehicle.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 month ago.

Was there anything else you needed?