Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Stopped while travelling started back up made home but will…

Customer Question
Stopped while travelling started...

Stopped while travelling started back up made home but will not crank now. Has power but no response in ignition start position

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Spark plugs are brand new. Could it be fuel pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2005 mercury grand marquis.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I want to, but don't know where to start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It's a 2006.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mercury
8/17/2017
Mercury Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 10 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Do you have a digital volt meter and a test light so we can do some testing?

I do have volt meter
What are we testing for

Can you tell me more about what the car did when it stopped on you, and did it start right back up?

After a few seconds it started right up but now there is nothing

Do the lights on the dash light up like they should when you turn the ignition switch to the run position?

everything lights up.

Can you go out to the car, set the emergence brake, turn the ignition switch to run and put the transmission in neutral and see if it will turn over please?

No, there is nothing.

So the starter did not even make a noise?

No not a peep

Can you set your meter to dc volts, hold the black test lead to a good ground and with the ignition switch in the run position, test both sides of all the fuses in the fuse box under the hood and tell me what fuses do not have any voltage to them, and what fuses only have voltage to one side of the fuse please?

I can do it when it gets bright out.

Thank you. About how long will that be? I want to make sure I ill be online when you are ready for me.

In about an hour or so

Thank you. Chat with you then.

checked all fuses and they are good. took off starter and jumped it works fine.

What fuses did not have power to either side and what fuses only had power to one side?

they all had power thru both sides with the key in the on position

Did you check all the fuses in the fuse box under the dash?

i did and they are all good also

I do not care if the fuses are good or not, I need to know if they have 12 volts to them on both sides. Did you test them with your meter set to dc volts and the black lead on a good body ground, testing the tops of the fuses with the red test lead with the fuses still in the fuse box?

no i never did that with those fuises

I need to know what fuses do have 12 volts on them and what fuses do not to be able to help you. Can you please do this test for me on all the fuses and tell me what fuses do not have power on either side as well as what fuses have power only to one side please?

tested all fuses and they all have a range of voltage running thru them rangeing from 4 volts to 7.5 vots

Did you have the ignition switch in the run position? What is the voltage at the battery? Did any of the fuses have 12 volts?

the ignition was in the rum position, voltage at battery is 12.5 and none of the fuses had a complete 12 voltls running thru them.

And these results are for both the under dash fuses as well as the under hood fuses correct?

sir those are the results for the under the hood and under the dash fuse panels.

Can you remove the battery cables and clean them please? after you have cleaned them, reconnect the battery and see if you have 12 volts on the fuses under the hood please.

I checked the fuses fuses undr the hood and they all cheked with 12 volts misunder stood question sorry

So you have 12 volts to the fuses under the hood, but low voltage to the fuses under the dash correct?

That is correct sir

Can you replace the F1.103 and F1.104 fuses in the fuse box under the hood. These two fuses feed power to the under dash fuse box. You can swap these two fuses out with fuses in F1.101 and F1.102. Then see if you have 12 volts in the fuses under the dash.

Done the swap and it did increase the voltage to 8 volts +

Will the car start?

wont know until i put the starter back on and its raining out right now. but i noticed the fuel pump dont kick on for that brief moment before ignition.

Get the starter back on and lets see if it will start.

still did not make a peep

Can you check all the fuses again, but this time wright down each fuse and what the voltages are for each side of them. I need to know exactly what the voltages are so I can determine where we need to go next to find the short.