Mike V.
Mike V., Automotive Technician
Experience:  25 years experience witth all makes, Nissan and Subaru factory trained.
2921078

It has had significant hesitation when driving moderate

It has had significant hesitation when driving moderate speeds. Almost as if it wants to shift but doesn't. Now today the O/D OFF light came on?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The small indicator light on the dash
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: 2001 Gran Marquee
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had the transmission flushed and next tried some additive that was suppose to help with sticking lock-up torque converter because at that time I thought the torque converter was the problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It has been doing this for about 6 months

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

If the O/D light came on by itself, then you will have to have the transmission module scanned to locate the code. Once you have the code then you can start a diagnosis. I would also check the level. If the transmission fluid level is low, then it could cause the running issue as well. One other thing I think should be checked but you will likely need a scan tool for it is the throttle position sensor. This can cause some shifting issues if the TCM doesn't know how much throttle you are giving the car.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the answer. Can the throttle position sensor be slightly off or if it fails it does not work at all.

it could be sending the wrong voltage. If it wasn't sending any voltage you would have a code for it. This is why sometimes it's best to check it's readings with a scan tool. That way you know what the computer is seeing as far as voltages go. If it needs adjustment it could affect the shifting.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks that was helpful!

You are very welcome and thank you for the rating!