Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2004 mercury Monterey van that the engine light

I have a 2004 mercury Monterey van that the engine light came on. My son put a tester on it and the code comes up P1450 - Inability of evaporative emission control system to bleed fuel tank. Can you tell me what to do next?
JA: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: Yes the diagnostic trouble code is: P1450 - inability of evaporative emission control system to bleed fuel tank.
JA: Are you fixing your Monterey yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Neighbor suggested filling gas tank to full and making sure the gas cap was only tightened to the first click. Thought maybe too tight and tank couldn't let build up escape?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just didn't want to take in to mechanic without being aware of what to expect. Never had it worked on before and don't want to be blind sided on what to expect. Would rather fix myself if something simple such as replacing fuel filter or similar.

HI,

Ok, one possible cause is the gas cap is over tightened which prevent vacuum relief, so your neighbor's suggestion is good place to start.

If the code returns, it will need to be smoke tested to test for restrictions/obstructions in the evap system at the vapor canister, vacuum tubes, purge valve and purge solenoid, cv solenoid filter, and fuel filler vapor tube that runs parallel to the fuel filler tube.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When you say smoke tested, is this something that has to be done by a mechanic in the shop or can it be done at the parts store or with the tester my son used the first time to get the coding?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is the call $26 in addition to the other $26 at the end of the conversation?

HI,

Smoke testing requires a special machine that hooks up to the evap system and uses a special dyed smoke. Only a shop will have this, not a parts store. It is 1 hour labor for a shop to do this

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your help