Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Rear cv axle will not go in diff old or new, both are out.

Customer Question
Rear cv axle will...

Rear cv axle will not go in diff old or new, both are out. 04 mountaineer skip

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mountaineer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, try putting new and old back in. ican see you are not going to be able to help

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercury
8/5/2017
Mercury Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

there should be a little clip on the end of the old one did it come out when you removed it?

Hi I have put cv axle in many time before, I know some cars you can only pull one axle at a time. Yes c clip came out on both axles, will go in but not all the way, they is about a inch to go . They should go all the in untill it touch diff.

sometimes I have to break out a huge dead blow or a non marring hammer and swing on those a couple of times to get them in its a very tight fit,

I try pulling it out a slamming it in. it sound like it is hitting home
05 August 2017 05:31
I try pulling it out and slamming it in. it sound like it is hitting home

you may have to hold it rotate it and maybe put a piece of wood to protect the end while someone hits it

Let me try what you said to do and i wll get back with you,I have to go to church, how can i reach you.

this chat will stay open just save the information and you will be able to talk to me for a couple of weeks

i just try tipping it in befor i go to church. i didid not whale on it. did not move

try taking off the old ring on the old one and see how easy it slides in

old one does the same as the new one. will not go in

with the ring removed?

i am sorry i miss undstand give me a moment to get c clip off
With clip off old on slid right in.

ah hah! So now you know how far it needs to go in and its a c clip problem that needs to be worked into the diff, sometimes it might take a lot of turning and hitting

is that to say to hit it harder then a tap

oh yeah give it some love lol

Where would you hit it to cause less damage. Will get back with you tomorrow to let you know how it is going. By the way took c clip off new one , went right in.

screw the nut on the end til its flush and hit the end directly, use wood as a protector and big hammer or a brass hammer to strike end

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician