Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis and I am attempting to…

Customer Question
I have a 1993 Mercury...
I have a 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis and I am attempting to service the airbag codes 41 and 51. I have the pin test instructions from a previous question for code 41. The first step is to inspect the LH kick panel safing sensor, as if this sensor switch is worn it can cause code 41. I think this might be the cause of my issue as it is an old car. Where might this LH kick panel safing sensor switch be located?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercury
Oh. That's funny. I re-looked up the code -- was regarding the RH crash test sensor. So I unplugged it, and plugged it back in. And code 41 was gone. Go figure. Old vehicle. I will secure the connection. I think a bump might have disconnected it. The connector had some wiggle between the two pieces. And that blew the thermal fuse. So I will do some electrical engineering and correct that with a spare fuse. I ordered the 168 degree fuse online and will manually solder and place it back in and not spend $50 on a new diagnostic monitor.Might there be any other cause to the code 41 disappearing other than the one I just explained?
Answered in 2 days by:
8/5/2017
Mercury Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

IF there was a different problem then code probably would come back so I agree it sounds like connection was the only issue. Are you still getting code 51?

Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician