Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It sputters on acceleration. Replaced the MAF sensor. Still…

Customer Question
It sputters on acceleration...

It sputters on acceleration. Replaced the MAF sensor. Still doing it. Smells like rotten eggs at times.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?

Idles fine. jerks during acceleration.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercury?

2003 Ls

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Replaced MAF sensor cuz that was the problem last time it acted this way. Still have problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Smells like rotten eggs when I pull in driveway. Maybe EGR valve?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mercury
7/28/2017
Mercury Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Im David, if it smells like rotten eggs and its hesitating and jerking, the catalytic converter is clogged.

Have you replaced the catalytic converters yet?

Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician