Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Mercury Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Mercury Diagnostics
18617752

My 2000 mercury Sable won't shift out of park, I believe so,

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My 2000 mercury Sable won't shift out of park
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: I believe so, but I am alone and can't check
JA: Are you fixing your Sable yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything. I stopped at a panda express to wait out traffic and now I can't move out
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am not in a position to really do a lot of tinkering right now
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for holding!

When the shifter will not release from Park, first check the brake lights and see if they are working when you step on the brake pedal.

If the lights are not working, first, check fuse #17 in the under-dash fuse block. If the fuse is good, the problem will be the Stop Lamp Switch. This switch controls the brake lights and also sends a signal to the shift interlock telling it to release when the brake pedal is depressed. The switch is located under the driver's side dash mounted to the top of the brake pedal arm. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Inspect the switch mount and contact points for any broken or misaligned parts. If ok, replacing the switch will solve the problem.

If the brake lights are working, the problem lies in the interlock system. The interlock solenoid and shifter assembly will need to be tested and inspected. The interlock solenoid is mounted to the steering column.

Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.