kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

It's a 96 mystic just changed a bad valve and put it all

Customer Question

It's a 96 mystic just changed a bad valve and put it all together runs ok but is blowing black smoke put the exhaust any ideas why it didn't do this before I changed the valve
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: Close to 200,000 the gas mileage hasn't been to bad
JA: What is the model of your '96 Mercury?
Customer: Mystic
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I replaced the bad valve it started right up when I was done sounded good took it down the road and it started blowing black smoke out the exhaust never did this before
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so I can't see anything leaking anywherr
Category: Mercury
Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 months ago.

What valve did you replace? And what size engine does your car have?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Engine is a 2.0 liter changed an exhaust valve it is blowing white smoke out exhaust and I just drove it and it is now almost overheating thermostat gets almost to the red and its a new thermostat

Did you replace the valve stem seals? Did you burp all the air out of the cooling system?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No he didn't replace the seal and he had no idea how to burn the air out of cooling system never mentioned it in service manual

Then more then likely he cut the valve stem seal, when he replaced the valve, but that is not that bad, he can replace it with out pulling the head back off. Let me look up the procedure for burping the cooling system for you. Brb.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you I will be waiting

When he refilled the system, did he turn the heat on full blast? If not then the heater core could still have air in it. Have him check the coolant level, and fill if need be, then start the engine and let it warm up but this time with the heat on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok will try it would these things cause the smoking

The valve guide seal will be the source of the smoking. The seal can be replaced with out pulling the head back off. He will need to pull the valve cover, and spark plug for all the cylinders that he had the valves out of" or just go ahead and replace them all just to make sure he has good ones on all the valves" and he can use a small rubber hose, stuck into the spark plug hole to hold the valves up, remove the springs and replace the seals.

Did you replace the valve guide seals?