Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Mercury Senior Master Technician
9600325

Keep getting the -0193 trouble code. the vehicle runs well

Customer Question

keep getting the -0193 trouble code. the vehicle runs well but occasionally when you slow down it will die. afterwards it starts back up and runs again. We replaced the fuel filter because it hadn't been done for a long time. Seemed to correct problem but it has started up again
JA: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?
Customer: external. Location is on a beam on the driver side of car between the driver seat and back seat.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: 2005 monterrey
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. my brother and I are fixing it. We changed the filter and also put in a new water pump because there was also a squeal
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: have looked at the code a couple of times the fuel rail pressure is 78.61 psi
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Did the water pump take care of the squeal or is it still there? If its still there have you noticed it get the loudest just before it stalls?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it comes and goes but without going out and trying it and paying attention to it, I am not sure. We thought the squeal was either the tension pulley or the idler pulley
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 months ago.

OK thanks. The squeal is coming from the camshaft synchronizer. That is also the cause for the stalling. I would replace the synchronizer and the camshaft position sensor. It is possible the P0193 is due to the stalling, but more likely it is caused by the fuel rail pressure sensor/connector, they develop intermittent open circuits between the connector and the sensor. I usually replace the sensor and splice in a pigtail connector. Do all the above and these concerns should be resolved for good.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello?

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I was reviewing some of my older questions and was wondering if you could take a moment to comment on my answer. I noticed you viewed my answer on ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at ‎7‎:‎41‎:‎12‎ ‎PM 9 hr(s) 48 minute(s) ago. If you are satisfied with your answer, please respond with "I am satisfied with your answer" or "your answer helped". I will then forward that response to the site admin so my feedback can be updated and have the question closed out.

Thanks for using Just Answer!

Kenny Z