kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

I have a 1997 mercury .the steering column is not locked and

I have a 1997 mercury .the steering column is not locked and the key turns but does not activate the started, .The steering wheel will not lock when you withdraw the key.
JA: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?
Customer: No I haven't .I was trying to lock the column up by turning hard left and right. But I can try your suggestion ..We disconnect the battery because when the key is in and out the idiot lights are still on
JA: What is the model of your '97 Mercury?
Customer: Standard Marquis .. only 60,000 miles no previous starting problem
JA: Are you fixing your Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just getting out of hospital ,cant bend over from waist yet preliminary efforts were just as I mentioned but I did look into new tumbler.. Next choice is towed to repair shop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: starter is ok but ignition not working

Will the car start with the key?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will try your suggestion to attempt to start the car with the steering wheel full left and then full right No the car is not starting with the key while it is turned in the on position on the column .From straight up and down to say 2:00 .It will back off and can be withdrawn.
I believe I tried your suggestion of pressure on the wheel while turning the key. But I am not at the vehicle and have to find a ride to vehicle. Sorry seems pretty simple a problem but stuff breaks. I don't know if there is a reset breaker I am not aware of. Maybe the person who started the car while I was in the hospital forced it and is not conscious of the break.

It sound like the rood from the lock cylinder to the ignition switch has broken. This is a common problem with this steering column. It can be repaired but it is most often cheaper to replace the column with a good used column.