HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years experience Ford Senior Master Technician/Diesel certified ASE Master Technician
285738

I have ac but not rear heat, the coolant level is fine and I

Customer Question

i have ac but not rear heat
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: the coolant level is fine and I havent noticed any leaking
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: 2000 villager estate
JA: Are you fixing your Villager yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i am
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i had the water pump recplaced and have had to put collant in it once since I got it back
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did this issue occur right after the water pump was replaced?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I purchased the vehicle back in summer and i had not checked the rear heat before changing the water pump.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Does your model have the auto electronic temp control or just manual controls for the front heater control system?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
manual controls
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

O.k.,my info on this is very limited unfortunately.I believe you have a temp actuator for the rear that can fail but I dont want to say this for sure.Others here may be able to assist further on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

Hello, does the rear air temperature stay the same regardless of the temperature setting? If you put your hand on the rear heater pipes going ot the rear heater core under the vehicle, are both pipes fully hot and the same temperature? The rear blower fan operates properly just no control over the temperature setting?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In the summer the Ac was cold in the rear. Now I just blows cold air. I have not checked the lines underneath. The rear fan operates properly it blows faster when you turn the speed up.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just remembered on ovation I've noticed when I set at a light or at a drive thru the front heat will get cold.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

Ok that is a quick simple thing to check once the vehicle is at normal operating temperature and the front heat is working properly. Sometimes an air pocket can develop in the system when the cooling system has been opened up during the water pump repair. More than likely both heater inlet and outlet pipes are the same temperature and hot. If not there may be a restriction in the system.

That is how you would normally test the system. But from everything I have read, it does not appear to have rear heat, only rear air condtioning in this vehicle. There are no publications from Ford/Mercury regarding repairing the rear heater system, only rear air conditioning. So verify if you have rear ac and rear heater lines going to the rear of the vehicle. If there are only a small and large ac line, you dont have rear heat installed.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm confused. So if there are only to hoses then I do not have rear heat? I was reading from other sites and they said that it could be the blend door ?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

Typically there is both a rear heater core and a rear evaporator for the ac system. From what im reading in the Mercury service manual it doesnt reference any type of rear heater system, but only a rear ac system in its whole manual or repair section. So it is unusual but looks like you dont have a rear heating system. If it does, there will be 4 lines going to the rear ac box, two the same size for the heater core and a large and small line for the ac system

Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.