Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

My 1999 ford contour battery keeps dieing. It keeps a charge

Customer Question
for 2 weeks than dies...
My 1999 ford contour battery keeps dieing. It keeps a charge for 2 weeks than dies. Than this morning the car would not start but 2 hours later it started. My mechanic has run a battery test as well as a test to see if anything is draining the battery and says all checks are ok. It is back at the mechanic today but he says at this point he has to wait until it die again which could be weeks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercury
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2017
Mercury Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

During this 2 weeks how often and much do you drive the vehicle?

When it will not start will the instrument cluster power up, will it at least crank?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think the answer is both is yes.

During this 2 weeks how often and much do you drive the vehicle? I think the answer is both is yes.

I do not understand your response.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
about 300 miles

Is the vehicle driven daily at least 15 minutes at a time?

So far this looks to be an intermittent parasitic draw. It is going to be tough to diagnose but I have the steps if you feel like you could do them. You just need a digital volt meter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can the mechanic do this?

I can, I do not know your mechanic or there skills. Would you like the Ford test to forward to them?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok

Here are the steps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/batterydrain.pdf

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A folow up question. The draw would cause the car to not start and than 1 hour later it started.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I went to the mechanic with your list. He says he did all the tests and all tested positive. He now says it must be a connectivity issue and must wait until car wont start again as it is starting now at their shop. This may not happen for weeks and I dont want to tow the car for the third time when it wont start at home. The first time the battery charged. The second time the battery would not charge from roadside but charged at mechanic. The third time the car would not start and when tow truck showed up in about a hour later the car started.

So now we are left with diagnosing the starting circuit when it will not crank. Is that something you can do yourself to prevent a tow and the vehicle sitting at the shop?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if someone if you give directions

In the drivers door jam is a label I need to know if you car was built before or after March 1999?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see label but doesn't indicate date.

It should be near the vin# ***** look like 02/99

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
04/99

Here are the diagrams.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/satart1.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/start2.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/start3.pdf

When it will not start we need to see if the starter relay is missing power on pin 1 or ground on pin 2. Can you do those steps?

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician