A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

THEFT LIGHT IS BLINKING AND THE CAR IS NOT GETTING FUEL, NO,

Customer Question

THEFT LIGHT IS BLINKING AND THE CAR IS NOT GETTING FUEL
JA: Have you checked the battery's voltage?
Customer: NO, CAR WAS RUNNING FINE AND NOW WONT START.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: 02 MERCURY SABLE
JA: Are you fixing your Sable yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: YES, THE CAR IS NOT GETTING FUEL
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: WE HAVE CHECKED THE FUEL INERTIA SWITCH
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
did set p0191 code
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** the theft light is flashing, this means the computer is not recognizing the key, have you tried a spare key yet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok, then the computer has lost its programming for the key, you will need to have it reprogrammed, the dealer can do this, but we use mobile locksmiths to come to the car and program them, they are cheaper than the dealer, and saves a tow bill to the delaer, our local locksmith charges 70 dollars to do this, the dealer gets over 200 dollars and you have to tow it to them, but nonr the less, the key will have to be reprogrammed before the computer will let the car start,Tim

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
once you turn the key on the thief light goes out

ok, you said it was flashing???

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my brother put the first question in
Expert:  A. Penland replied 11 months ago.

New Expert here. It sounds like the fuel pump ahs failed causing your crank no start and no fuel pressure. See if you are getting power to the inertia switch and out of the inertia switch when the key is turned on or is cranking the engine. DO this check first. Then go under the vehicle on the passenger side near the rear just before the right rear tire. The fuel pump wiring connector should be clipped to the corner edge of the fuel tank. Check for power on the WHITE/RED striped wire while cranking the engine. If power there, then replace the fuel pump.