Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs
7276279

Got a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis. The air is only coming out

Customer Question

Hey there. Got a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis. The air is only coming out of the front dashboard vents and the floor vents. The A/C is also not working at the moment. Lastly I noticed that the temperature readout on the a/c module is incorrect. Any thoughts as to what might cause this?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Nathan,

Are you working on an electronic system (buttons) or a Manuel system ( knobs)?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm working with the electronic system. Looks exactly like this module - http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/drm/599-030/image/4/
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay before we do anything can you run the self test on the control panel for me. See the steps to do this in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Self%20test%20Oct%2028.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It doesn't appear to be doing anything when I follow those instructions
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just kidding I just got it to work. My mistake
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay what where the results?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
040 is the only code it has blinking
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

The code 40 indicates you have a Ambient temperature sensor short to ground , this could keep the compressor from running but not effect the air flow. Have you pressure tested the AC system and if so what are you pressure reading?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I haven't yet no. Would you be able to provide me with bit of instruction on performing the test?
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Which test do you want to run, I suspect you have two issue here. One being a failing control panel and one being a bad Ambient temperature sensor providing the system is full of Freon and the pressure are right.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I thought the same as far as the control panel. But I'd like to run a test on the pressure test for the a/c system. I just haven't performed it before.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

All you need to do is connect a set of AC gauges to the AC service ports and read the systems pressure. Normal pressure on a full system with the AC off should be right at 100 to 110 on the low side and the high side. Normal pressure on a full system with the compressor running should be right at 35 to 40 PSI on the low side and right at 200 to 210 PSI on the high side.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Alright then. I'll need to get my hands on a Guage before I'm able to test it unfortunately
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay Im here if you need me.