Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

We have smoke coming out of the hood of our 2003 Mercury

Customer Question

Hi Chris, we have white smoke coming out of the hood of our 2003 Mercury Sable LS. Seems like it's coming out around the belt. Noticed the transmission fluid was under the low line.
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?
Customer: Not sure, just purchased it last week.
JA: Are you fixing your Sable yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, haven't tried anything yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's all I know regarding this Someone suggested it could be oil dripping on a gasket
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

Any issues noticed while driving?

Any fluid leaks noticed on the ground?

Could you decipher what the smoke smelled like?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Chris,Haven't noticed anything while driving, but when the car is idle it starts to smoke (after driving a bit or sitting idle for more than 10 minutes).I haven't noticed any fluid leaks, but my wife says she saw something leak from the tail pipe. We haven't turned on the car in 6 days.The smoked smelled like burnt rubber kind of. The smoke was coming from the passenger side near the timing belt.-Ivan

A rubber odor would be the belt slipping or rubbing. With the car off does the belt look damaged, or feel loose. With the belt off do all the pulley other than the crank pulley spin freely? Other possible causes are a coolant or leak. Debris on the exhaust system burning.

.

Prior to completing the mandatory rating at the top of your screen. Let me know if I have not yet provided you with ~5 STAR EXCELLENT~service. Reply and let me know in more detail what you need to be pleased with my help.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Chris,The belt does seem a bit old, but not loose.I noticed that right under where the smoke is coming from, it is really moist (see attached picture).The smoke primarily comes from the first pulley on the passenger side, right under some hoses.-Ivan

This looks as best I can tell as an engine oil leak.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/engine%20oil.png

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris