Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

Can we continue our previous conversation about my 2006

Mike can we continue our...
Mike can we continue our previous conversation about my 2006 Mercury Montego?
10/11/2016
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As of right now the car will start for a few seconds after it has been setting over night. It seems to be flooding because the plugs are drenched with gas. I also have a po452 code and a -18 EVAP VP reading.

If there are no codes and it did run for a little while, check that fuel pressure. If it's too high from link a kink in the fuel line, the high fuel pressure will cause flooding because the small amount of time the fuel injector is open, too much gasoline will flow through because of the extra pressure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did get a p0452 code
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i did get a po452 code

I was reading that old post.

That is close. You had better check that fuel pressure and clear that code, hopefully it was just because of a loose gas cap.

Have you had problems pumping gas into the tank? Anyhow, here is a troubleshooting procedure for that code P0452

And the fuel pressure should be 40 psi.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have not had any problems until now which is after i shorted out my computer and installed a new one.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is that the fuel pressure while running? or can i get a reading while it is not running?

While not running, too. Did you ever clear the codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found this code in the KOEO test.
I tried to erase it, but it would not erase it also has. P 1397. Code. And. P 1000 code.

This should clear that P1000, http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

That P1397 might be because of the dead battery and the charging, jump start, etc.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here are some pictures of my scan tool. live data
WP_20161011_19_24_13_Pro.jpgWP_2016...jpgWP_20161011_19_25_04_Pro.jpgWP_2016...jpgWP_20161011_19_25_36_Pro.jpgWP_2016...jpgWP_20161011_19_26_30_Pro.jpgWP_2016...jpgWP_20161011_19_26_54_Pro.jpgWP_2016...jpg

Ok, are you going to check the fuel pressure? I see I asked that in your other post.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is that the FP/Vac(psi) reading?It is 0.0

You should be using a hand held fuel system pressure tester. rent or borrow one if you don't want to purchase one.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I thought my scan tool would show that. I'll get back with you when I get that done.

ok

Well, did you try to read it with the scan tool while the fuel pump was running, if not give that a try.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK Mike I finally got the fuel pressure reading. I am sorry I took so long. I borrowed one from Autozone and when I hooked it up it would not work. Someone had taken the valve out of the end of it so they sent me to another store to get one. Got it home and hooked it up and the bleed valve was missing and sprayed me with gas so I took it back and purchased one.The fuel pressure while the pump is running is 89lbs. I checked it at the fuel filter back at the tank. Oddly enough when I started the car with the fuel line going to the engine disconnected and the car ran great for about 30 seconds or so. While it was running the pressure would hit almost 90 pounds.Thanks
clay

That is way too high, it should only be 40 psi. Check for a kink in a metal fuel line before where you installed that fuel pressure tester and if you cannot find any kinks, you may just have a faulty fuel pump but honestly I haven't ever heard of fuel pumps failing and putting out too much pressure but I suppose it's possible especially if something inside the fuel pump came loose or broken and is clogging the pump or the line, so that brings me to my next suggestion even before condemning the pump if there is no kink in the line, remove both ends and see if you can blow air through it to check if it's clogged. If so and if the air blows out the clog, fine put it back on and check the fuel pressure again, if you cannot blow air through the line, replace it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help will try that. I believe with these cars, the pressure regulator is in built into the fuel pump.

the too high fuel pressure would also explain the when you said, "plugs are drenched with gas".

fuel injection rail pressure is controlled by the electronic fuel delivery module which is enabled by the powertrain control module (PCM).

The fuel rail pressure (FRP) sensor provides the PCM with the current fuel rail pressure. The PCM uses this information to vary the duty cycle output to the FPDM to compensate for varying loads.

The fuel pump (FP) module contains the fuel pump, the fuel pressure regulator, and the fuel sender assembly. The fuel pressure regulator is attached to the FP module and regulates the pressure of the fuel supplied to the fuel injectors. The fuel pressure regulator controls the pressure of the clean fuel as the fuel returns from the fuel filter. The fuel pressure regulator is a diaphragm-operated relief valve. Fuel pressure is established by a spring preload applied to the diaphragm. The FP module is located in the fuel tank.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you for all your help, I think you have pointed me in the right direction. I never would have thought that too much fuel pressure would cause this type of an issue. When I check the fuel line or replace the fuel pump module, I will let you know what the results are. Thanks again.

Don't forget to rate me well, so I get credit. If you don't the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician