Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

Have a 96 mercury cougar had 3 codes one was something about

Customer Question
fuel pump circuit another was...
Have a 96 mercury cougar had 3 codes one was something about fuel pump circuit another was purge valve and another was the cats failing. I replaced the pump and all codes cleared but now when the car is put in gear it stalls. You half to give it gas when you put it in gear and it will be fine until you stop and it kills the motor. If ur driving and put it in neutral it kills it. If you put it in neutral and hit the gas a little it will idle fine until you put it in gear again then you half to rev the motor and put it in gear. No codes and I have no clue what it could be.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercury
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/27/2016
Mercury Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Do you recall the code numbers you got?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I do no there is no code now changing the pump cleared them all.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it only does it when the motor warm.when it's cold there is no problem
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Engine light came on and only code I got was p1443

For this remaining code you have. It is normally the EVAP purge flow sensor bad. Here is a file showing the diag steps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/purge.pdf

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That has nothing to do with my question ik that isn't the problem. I changed the tps and now it doesn't die it will idle low when put into gear like down to 200-250 rpm then climb back up to about 500

Sorry you wrote this "Engine light came on and only code I got was p1443" sorry I misunderstood.

Have you done anything so far to try and address the low idle issue?

In drive while idling, when you release the brake, does the vehicle feel like its trying to pull forward more than it should?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It will idle low now only when put in gear when driving and stopping it will only go to 500 instead of stall out

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I noticed when you turn the ac on it idles low I'm thinking the alternator because there is no code and if alternator is bad there will be no code?

When you can respond to the 2 questions I posted 27 Aug 2016, 3:57 PM and on 28 Aug 2016, 12:58 PM

I can then get to an answer for this issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced the tps to try and fix low idle and no it doesn't try to take off when put in gear it stalls out

Thanks,

In park at operating temp unplug the IAC valve on the throttle body. It should idle at 500 rpms. If its low then clean the throttle body and adjust the throttle stop screw. Once idling at 500 then spray clean the MAF sensor and replace the IAC valve while the battery negative cable is removed.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I apologize for the late response but I un plugged that iac valve and it stalled

Did you follow all the steps I mentioned after unplugging the IAC valve?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I haven't had time to mess with it I will do it Tonight and get back with you

Super

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did not work. I noticed when you put the car in gear it will idle higher when the ac is on

With the IAC unplugged in park what is the idle speed?

IAC plugged in what is the idle speed in park?

What brand IAC did you install?

What is the idle speed in park with the AC on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When you un plug the iac it kills the motor
The idle with it plugged in is around 800
I don't remember the brand but it was best one they had
And in park the idle speed doesn't change it will jump up then back down same with the battery volts witch I believe is normal

This post has timed out since we did not get the issue resolved in the first 7 days. I will opt out and let someone else help you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alright
Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician