david craig
david craig,
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

Outside temp reads 140 degrees, summer and winter, 2002

Customer Question

outside temp reads 140 degrees, summer and winter
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: 2002 mercury villager, estate model
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, looks like all i have to do is replace the sensor
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: Outside ambient air temperature.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: looks like there are two sensors
Category: Mercury
Expert:  david craig replied 11 months ago.

Hi Im David, try disconnecting yuor battery, wait a few minutes then reconnect it. that works sometimes. if it doesnt work let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
doesn't work. I have a replacement part. There are two (2) sensors facing each other is in front of the radiator. What's the story here? Which is which?
.

gimme a few... thank you

ill make sure, but i think one may be a impact sensor

this is what the correct one should look like

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that's correct, I've got the part, but there are two sensors, mounted horizontally one bracket. The pointed ends face each other, with a gap of about 1 inch in between them. The wires from the sensors form an upside down Y and are bundled together above the sensors.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As near as I can tell, the sensors are identical, as are the sockets into which they are installed.

ok. thats different. im going to did into my manual..thanks for your patience

ok, one is for the computer and one is for the display

#1 for the engine controller

#2 for the display

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
which is which?

they should be the same part numbers so try in each position. the computer is sending the info to other sensors. the #2 is sending right to the display.

hows it going, did you make any progress?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Took it to a local shop, they didn't know which was which either. Wound up replacing both sensors to be sure. Had to go to two different auto supply shops to get parts. Parts about $ 48, Labor $ 60.00 System works now.

glad you go it fixed. i looked easy enough to do yourself or no? there arent many vehicles out there that have 2 of those sensors....

we have alot of resources to go by but sometimes even with the abundance of info everything isnt covered or we havent run into that problem yet....have a good day.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tried, decided it was not worth the effort. To reach the parts I had to remove the front grill, and it just got harder from there. Still had difficulty getting to the parts, and I didn't have the right tools. It would have probably taken me 2+ hours. Took it to a local independent shop, and they did it in less than 30 minutes while I waited. Apparently easier to access parts from below rather than from above.

in alot of cases that is definitely true. can yiu please leave a rating for me. its the only way i get credit for my assistance, even though it wasnt that much...thanks and have a good day.

can you please leave a rating for me. its the only way i get credit for my assistance, thank you