Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

1996 Mercury Mystique V6 engine - cooling fans do not come

Customer Question

1996 Mercury Mystique V6 engine - cooling fans do not come on.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** fans come on if you unplug the coolant temp sensor with vehicle running? Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Have you tried to manually power on the fan to see if it works?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I havent
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

I'd try that and if fan doesn't work fan will need to be replaced. There was a recall on fan so I'd contact dealer to see if recall was done if not you should be able to get it replaced for free. If fan tests good there is a low speed inline resistor mounted above the center of the bumper. Unplug it and jump across the plug. If the low speed fan runs, replace the resistor assembly. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok there's the problem. I would have tested the fans if I could reach the plugs. Do I have to remove them to test them? Also, I've tried finding the resistor but again can't get to it. What does it look like? I took the grill out hoping it would be mounted just under the top radiator support bracket
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

You should be able to get at fan connector from under vehicle or if you remove fender liner and here is picture of area resistor is, if you follow wire at fan it will lead to resistor. Let me know how it goes ori f you run into more questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/asnrzsrc28fz99q/resis.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok took fan out of vehicle. Passenger side fan works fine. Driver side fan sounds horrible and does not turn smoothly
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

The fan with the green/orange wire going to it is the low speed fan and the main cooling fan, high speed fan is rarely used. So if noisy fan had the green/orange wire going to it replacement should solve problem. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also, is this the resistor?
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Yes it is, looks pretty weathered. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Going to change it too. It is mounted in the fan shroud
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Then whatever fan that resistor connects to is the low speed fan.