Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Mercury Senior Master Technician
9600325

We are on the ghway and a yellow light showing two wrenches

Customer Question

We are on the highway and a yellow light showing two wrenches appeared
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: On the dashboard
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: 2010 hybrid
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing we are driving on the highway
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Car is running fine
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Is this a Mariner or Milan?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a Milan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid. We are concerned because we are driving on the highway car is running fine except for the light on the dashboard. With two yellow wrenches
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks. Most common for this concern is the electronic throttle body. To confirm you would need to get the codes read from the powertrain control module. Usually it will store a P2111 or P2112. Either of these codes present will indicate throttle body replacement is necessary. It might be covered under warranty depending on current mileage and state of registration. If you can provide the VIN# ***** what state the vehicle is registered in I can run it through the Ford database.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. For now I just would like to know if it safe driving for a while
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, It is safe, but it could possibly worsen and get to point where you will see a stop safely now message and the vehicle could go into forced idle limp mode. This will allow you to get off the road but will take away all throttle response. Sometimes cycling the key will temporarily correct the issue until it acts up again.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Also without the codes I am not positive this is the fault, just by far the most common. So there is a possibility a different component is causing the issue. Generally most faults that cause wrench light will at least let you get off the road safely.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

If you need further assistance please feel free to reply and we can continue. Otherwise please take a moment to rate my answer as you see fit. After rating, the thread is still available should you need further assistance. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Thanks,

Kenny Z