Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs
7276279

Mercury Sable 2004, 60,000 miles. Problem began after shop

Customer Question

Mercury Sable 2004, 60,000 miles.
Problem began after shop repaired gasket leak and replaced transmission fluid. Stopped at shopping center; never made it home. After I made a short visit in a store, car started, bucked, shuddered, died and refused to restart. Returned car to shop via AAA.
Car ran fine for mechanic who couldn't replicate incident; found nothing wrong.
Same type incidence again 10 days later. Car started 45 min. later when AAA arrived. Again, I returned the car to the garage; again they found nothing wrong. Yesterday, after a trip to the drug store, short visit, car started, died, would not run. This time I went back into store and waited 45 min. Sure enough the car started and I made it home. Today I'm trying to decide whether to call the same garage, call another garage or just buy another car. I don't want to spend a lot of money on an undependable car.
I had the air conditioner repaired in June: $322; gasket pan leak in June: $366. Any advice?
I know little about cars but have driven this one since it was new and never had a problem until now.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Since the garage the did the fist repair has not been able to find the source of the problem I would consider finding a new garage and getting a second opinion starting with having them run a scan on the computer system to see if there are any fault codes setting which there should be since you have had this problem return several times. I suspect the problem may be related to the first repair you had done but you need a fresh set of eyes to have a look and at least tun the scan for you. Once the system is scanned and the fault code retrieved it should be fairly easy to determine the cause.