A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

2008 mercury marquis? Have replaced compressor, evap. core,

Customer Question

2008 mercury marquis? Have replaced compressor, evap. core, orifice, and condenser? Flushed system till flush is clear? When evacuating air from system, system will only pull down half way? When trying to charge with Freon it will take one can and the low and high side gauges go crazy high? Confused. Acts as if it is stopped up but. I have replaced everything? Can u help? Replaced
drier also?
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
has anyone tried to answer yet?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The system will not pull down to 30 inches of vacuum and hold for 30 minutes with the vacuum compressor off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
didn't ask that! It doesn't pull down for 30 seconds? Will not pull down but half that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have tried 3 compressors and no results? All parts r new and it won't pull a vac. but it has no leak either.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Will the vacuum hold to where it stops with the AC machine off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it holds it but it also will not accept but 12 ozs. of Freon and my gauges on the low and high side pegs out! I've never seen this before and it will not accept anymore freon
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

I did not read that you replaced the suction accumulator/receiver drier.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the high side gets so hot you can't touch the line?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Did you replace the suction accumulator/receiver drier?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the entire system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
compressor 3 times and the drier twice
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, please do not get upset. I cannot physically see your vehicle. Since it will not pull down into a full vacuum and will not fully charge, the system has a restriction in the system. A plugged line, orifice tube installed backwards, a plastic cap left on a line can all cause a restriction. You may need to disconnect each line and blow air through them to check and make sure they are clear, including the evaporator and condenser. Also inspect the orifice tube and make sure it was installed properly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
done it all! I'm not upset. Orifice in right and I have taken every piece off car and flushed and blown through. Just weird what is going on?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Make sure the AC machine is working properly. Disconnect the lines from the vehicle and see if it pulls the system into the proper vacuum of 30 inches.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got off machine! Have used 2 different sets of gauges and both do the same. Can't pull full vac. and can't put over one can of Freon in without it completely shutting down. weird!
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Without physically seeing your Grand Marquis, your description is telling me that there is a restriction in the system.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

You can also hook the AC machine up and disconnect one line from the AC compressor and see what side of the system and where the restriction is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hope this didn't cost me because I didn't get any help.........
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I fixed the car!