Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

I have a 2004 mercury mountaineer. I turned the car on and turned on the air conditioning after church.

Customer Question
I have a 2004 mercury...
I have a 2004 mercury mountaineer. I turned the car on and turned on the air conditioning after church. I left the car running for about 10 minutes while standing putside. I got in and started to drive a heard a beep and the system said fail safe mode and it was driving rough. I parked it at home came back 3 hours later and drove it and didn't get the error. I went to put gas and turned on the air and did not get the message. The truck drove fine. I just had it at the Ford dealer on Friday for an oil change.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: 196000 np I do not
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I don't lnow. I just do want to be driving and it stops on me
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: What do you mean. The only recommended repairs were front brakes and rear slay bar
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercury
6/5/2016
Mercury Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

It sounds like an electrical component with the engine or transmission had gotten hot and started to act up due to being a weak component.This can usually be a sensor,actuator or solenoid at fault in some cases or even engine running to hot as it sat and ran.

What should be done from here to be safe is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a scan tool/code reader to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set will need diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.Temp sensor issues can be common as well as transmission sensors or solenoids acting up and the fault may or may not occur again its hard to say for sure from here.I would recommend having the fault codes checked by a dealer or repair facility to see what codes are set and then from there diagnosed to locate and repair the issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician