Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Can't start it. Battery is fine. Won't catch JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

Can't start it. Battery is fine. Won't catch
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercury. The Mercury Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: How much does this cost
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: Ok I'll go five bucks for advice. It has gas, battery is fine, turns over but won't catch, even with a boost
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I was hoping yes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercury Mechanic should know about your Mercury?
Customer: Over two hundred thousNd clicks n brand new alternator
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anyone out there please?
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
greetings, what is the model and engine? is the check engine light on? do you hear the fuel pump come on?
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
just to make sure we are on the same page the engine turns over/cranks but will not run.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1993 xr7. V8. It was running fine. Rained and I didn't run the car. Next day it won't start. Can smell the fuel, it turns over just won't do that final catch to run
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
Lets start by checking the distributor cap. If water condensation builds in the cap it can cause a no start. I would also check the ignition wires. If possible you can spray them with wd-40 or similar, it will help to dissipate the water/moisture, the cap and the wires. We need to pull up the distributor cap and check underneath.lets start here
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
we can check for spark too, they do sell cheap spark testers that keep you from getting zapped. If the spark plugs are soaked they may need to be removed to start the engine. sometimes they dry out but sometimes they need to be removed.
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
let me know what you find
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked the distributor cap. It's dry. I'm thinking spark plugs but I don't have the tools for it and looks like they are pretty hard to get to. And, unfortunately I have no idea where the ignition wires are. I'm alone with no one to help me. Guess I'll have to get it towed
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
Ignition wires or spark plug wires/cables go from the cap to the spark plugs. Spark plugs generally do not fail all together and cause a no start. You might have a bad ignition module. Did the cap have a rubber boot over it? did you remove the cap and look under it?
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
if you smell fuel you could have lost spark.