A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

98 grand marquis. Sat and wouldnt start. I replaced

Customer Question

98 grand marquis. Sat for awhile and wouldnt start. I replaced the fuel pump,fuel filter, and fuel pressure sensor. Now I have pressure and fuel on the rail but still won't crank. It will fire for a minute if I spray starter fluid in the air filter but then dies.
JA: So many things can cause fuel pump issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: 98 grand marquis. Sat for awhile and wouldnt start. I replaced the fuel pump,fuel filter, and fuel pressure sensor. Now I have pressure and fuel on the rail but still won't crank. It will fire for a minute if I spray starter fluid in the air filter but then dies.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercury Mechanic should know about your Mercury?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Have you inspected the spark plugs to make sure hey are not fuel fouled out?Does it have fresh gas in the fuel tank?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't checked plugs in awhile but if they were fouled would it still fire on starter fluid. The not much gas in tank but is not too fresh.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
I would pump good clean fuel in the tank. Stale gas will not burn in a fuel injected engine. It will burn in a engine with a carburetor. I would also clean the spark plugs. If a vehicle sits for more than 6 months, the gas is stale as we call it and it is not good to start an engine on.