Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

I have a 2000 Mercury Sable v-6, it stumbles under a load,

Customer Question
but it is intermittent. I...
I have a 2000 Mercury Sable v-6, it stumbles under a load, but it is intermittent. I hooked up a scan tool to ck it and the only code stored is a P1300.
JA: Fortunately, the mechanics here speak code like it's their native tongue. They're great at getting to the bottom of things, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for this. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It feels like it is running out of gas when under a load, but as I said it is intermittent,
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes of course
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: just checked for codes that were stored
JA: Is there anything else the Mercury Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercury?
Customer: no other problems that I am aware of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercury
5/9/2016
Mercury Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.In order to be able to help you with this concern I need to know which engine you have, if you can give me the 8th letter of your vin number and post back with it I will help you determine the cause of your intermittent hesitation. Post back when you can and we can work from there.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The 8th letter is a U. Perhaps I should clarify something here. It stumbles hard, the engine literally shuts off for a second and restarts. But I never know when it is going to happen. I may drive it for a month and no problems. It does seem like when ever I have driven it out of town and have ran it at 65-70 for an hour or two it becomes more pronounced when I get in traffic climbing a hill. Its very unnerving to say the least because I wonder is this the time its going to shut off and not restart leaving me stranded.
Thank you for that, are you sure your getting a fault code P1300, this is not a valid code. Could the code be a P1336?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Something I hate doing is throwing parts at a car. I worked as a line tech (for GM) for 25 years so I am able to test and replace everything. Yes it is giving a code P1300. The check engine light is not staying on so it is not what I call a hard code.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
according to my research P1300 - Boost Calibration Fault
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not being a Ford guy, this means nothing to me.
There is no valid P1300 fault code, the 1300 codes start at P1309 and run to P1380, theses codes usually indacate a problem with the camshaft sensor and or a synchronizer concern . Your 2000 dose not use anything to do with boost control. See the complete list of Codes in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/DTC%20May%2011.pdf
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hmm interesting. According to the scan tool I have it says the only one stored is a P1300. Not being argumentative just telling you what it says.
Can you rerun the scan and perhaps use a different scan tool. Most auto parts store such as Auto Zone will run a scan for you at no charge. I really need the actual code to proceed with the proper answer.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the only reason I used a scan tool was to see if there were any stored codes and to see if there would be a possible connection between my problems and a stored code. As you know sometimes codes that are stored have nothing at all to do with your actual problem. This being an intermittent problem may make it more tricky to sort out. Yes I can rerun the scan tool, but I only have one and I just purchased this for this problem so it is brand new.
Well in most cases if the computer is seeing a systems fault it will set a fault code. Having the actual code would sure be useful and avoid any guessing as well. Let recheck the fault code and see what comes back and we can work from there.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did recheck and yes the code stored is a P1300. I did erase the stored codes and took it out for a drive. I checked again and no stored codes, however the scan tool picked up a misfire at 1800 rpms. I did not feel it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So I erased all the stored info and road tested it again. Nothing showed up.
Im suspecting you may have a problem with the camshaft synchronizer which is common on this engine but I can be sure with it setting the proper fault code. If you would like I can open the post back up and perhaps someone else has something else to offer.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can you give me a diagnostic routine for the camshaft synchronizer? or is it a part you just replace and hope for the best?
There really is no test beside listening to it to make sure its not making any noise. If you have noise then its failing. See the replacement steps in the link below. If there is no noise from it then its likely okay.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Syn%20May%2011.pdf
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't hear any noise. Please open the post back up. If you think of anything else that might help please let me know, I will be glad to track down any lead for this.
Sure will , doing so now.
Mercury Mechanic: HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, did you stop at an auto parts store like Ron suggested to verify the code since as he mentioned, P1300 is not a valid code. Not sure what type of scan tool you are using, but it isnt reading correctly.
HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician