Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Customer has a 2002 2.5 L V6 Mercury cougar. Approximately

Customer Question

Customer has a 2002 2.5 L V6 Mercury cougar. Approximately two years ago a new engine was installed by a friend that's a shade tree mechanic. Vehicle was driven approximately 5000 miles and blew a coolant hose. Customer installed a new upper radiator to thermostat coolant hose and topped off coolant. Sometime later vehicle developed a problem starting which they then replace the battery. Vehicle then would not hold a charge in the battery overnight. Car was parked for 6 to 8 months before I started working on it.
Topped off cells and battery with distilled water and charged. Vehicle started but chugged and ran poorly and also had a lot of white smoke from exhaust. After letting it run a while and vehicle warmed up and noticed temperature gage did not rise. Replaced thermostat and O-ring and also coolant temperature sensor. Also replaced several ground wires under airbox and battery area. Cleaned out coolant reservoir and replaced coolant in the system. Vehicle now holds a charge in the battery and starts the next day.
Temperature gage on – does not move one vehicle is warmed up. Upper radiator hose is hot lower radiator hose stays cold. I see no leaks in the coolant system and believe I have properly gotten all of the air out of it.
My customer does not have much money so what would my next step be. They are concerned that the head gasket may be bad due to the white smoke. After the thermostat change and work that I have done the smoke is considerably less but still somewhat apparent.
Could I have done something wrong installing the thermostat?
Is it possible that heater core is clogged?
Or does it sound more like the head gasket is blown?
I am very strapped for time and doing this as a free job. I could really use some help please.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist do a leak down test on all cylinders. the white smoke is the key. most likely has a damaged head gasket from the overheat and you have compression and combustion gases in the cooling system. it sounds like the heads will need to come off and inspect the gaskets for damage. Roy