Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

Pearl, I am looking on part 5G1Z-9A213-A

Customer Question
Pearl, I am looking for...
Pearl, I am looking for pricing on part 5G1Z-9A213-A for my 2005 Mercury Montego to fix the sender card/float rod issue I have
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My Montego exhibits a fuel gauge that is inoperative (reads empty with fuel in the tank), reads less than full when full, is slow to respond after fill, or is erratic/inaccurate.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: just the research to identify what the problem is
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: No, everything is okay
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercury
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/29/2016
Mercury Mechanic: ironmike, ASE Master Tech L1 replied 1 year ago
ironmike
ironmike, ASE Master Tech L1
greetings, here is the bulletin. I see it from a Ford parts site for 171$ Printable View (52 KB)TSB06-17-2FUEL GAUGE ERRATIC/INACCURATE AND/OR MIL ON WITH DTC P0463, B1202, B2627, B2879, AND/OR P2068Publication Date: August 10, 2006 FORD:2005-2007 Five Hundred, FreestyleMERCURY:2005-2007 Montego ISSUE:Some 2005-2007 Freestyle, Five Hundred, and Montego vehicles may exhibit a fuel gauge that is inoperative (reads empty with fuel in the tank), reads less than full when full, is slow to respond after fill, or is erratic/inaccurate. The vehicle may also exhibit the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0463, B1202, B2627, B2879, and/or P2068. This may be due to fuels which contain high amounts of sulfur which can react with electrical contact surfaces and cause an unwanted increase in electrical resistance.ACTION:Install new sender card/float rod assemblies with a redundant ground/swipe for both sides of tank. The components in this kit are significantly more tolerant of exposure to high sulfur fuels. On Freestyle only, the primary side (passenger side) also has a longer float rod arm to improve fuel gauge accuracy. Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.Do not perform this TSB for DTC P0460. DTC P0460 is set when the vehicle is driven approximately 120 miles (193 km) if the fuel gauge indication has not dropped more than 3% in that time. DTC P0460 is primarily set by two (2) refueling habits: 1) Multiple refuelings with relatively small amounts of fuel; 2) Refueling beyond the nozzle automatic shut off level. To prevent P0460 due to refueling habits, it is recommended that a minimum of 5 gallons is purchased and allowing no more than two (2) automatic pump click-offs.SERVICE PROCEDURERemove Fuel Pump Module and Fuel Level Sensor following instructions in Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 310-01. CAUTION:THE FUEL TANK LEVEL SHOULD BE 7/8 OR LESS PRIOR TO FUEL PUMP SENDER SERVICE THROUGH THE FLOOR PAN ACCESS HOLE. Update both with the parts from the kit, referring to the following tips. CAUTION:WHILE THE FUEL MODULES ARE OUT OF THE TANK, FUEL VAPORS WILL BE PRESENT, CARE SHOULD BE TAKEN TO MAKE SURE SMOKING/WELDING/GRINDING ETC ARE NOT BEING PERFORMED IN THE SAME PROXIMITY AND OTHERS ARE AWARE OF THE OPEN FUEL SYSTEM. The parts in the kits look similar so check the part number printed on the part to ensure it is being installed in the correct location. Refer to the following list:5F93-9A299-CA: Freestyle - Primary side (Passenger side)5F93-9A299-DA: Freestyle - Secondary side (Driver side)5G13-9A299-EA: Five Hundred/Montego - Primary side (Passenger side)5G13-9A299-FA: Five Hundred/Montego - Secondary side (Driver side) NOTE:THE NEW CARD AND FLOAT ROD ASSEMBLIES FOR THE PRIMARY SIDE (PASSENGER SIDE) HAVE FLOATS WHICH SPIN AROUND ON THE FLOAT ROD. NEW CARD AND FLOAT ROD ASSEMBLIES FOR THE SECONDARY SIDE (DRIVER SIDE) HAVE FLOATS FIXED TIGHTLY TO THE FLOAT ROD. CAUTION:CARE SHOULD BE TAKEN TO COMPLETELY DRAIN THE FUEL MODULES AND DRY THE MODULES PRIOR TO THE BENCH UPDATE TO PREVENT THE HEATING PROCESS FROM BEING AN IGNITION HAZARD. To install the sender card/float rod assemblies on the current Fuel Pump Module and Fuel Level Sensor Assembly, first remove the screw from the bottom of the component which attaches a metal backing plate. Once the bottom is loose, the plate should rotate up and disconnect from the module. Carefully cut the shrink wrap from the yellow wire, then disconnect the electrical terminal by depressing the release tab and pulling it apart.Install the sender card/float rod assemblies in a similar fashion as the original ones, except two (2) eyelets (old ground wire and new pink wire) will now fit under the screw instead of one (1). Slide the supplied new shrink wrap tube over the yellow wire and connect the electrical terminal. Apply heat to the shrink wrap over the terminal so it shrinks tightly around the terminals.Route the wires in a similar fashion as when removed, and run the float through its travel to confirm the wires will not contact the float rod.Reinstall per WSM procedure. PART NUMBERPART NAME5F9Z-9A213-AFreestyle Kit5G1Z-9A213-AFive Hundred/Montego Kit WARRANTY STATUS:Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME061702A2005-2007 Five Hundred, Montego: Check Diagnostic Trouble Codes And Install New Sender Cards For Both Sides Of Fuel Tank (Do Not Use With 9002A, 9275A, 12650D)1.8 Hrs.061702B2005-2007 Freestyle: Check Diagnostic Trouble Codes And Install New Sender Cards For Both Sides Of Fuel Tank (Do Not Use With 9002A, 9275A, 12650D)2.1 Hrs. DEALER CODING BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE927542
Ford does update parts and the part numbers do change. I did see another part number very close for less. I would make sure and call a local Ford parts guy and ask. They can check parts with the vin# ***** the vehicle and that makes it very accurate. A good parts guy will check and make sure there is no update part number. I found this part number (5G1Z-9A213-C) that could be an update and it goes for less money. 100$
ironmike
ironmike
ironmike, ASE Master Tech L1