ironmike
ironmike, ASE Master Tech L1
Experience:  Ford certified 30years exp
11302663

I ha e a 2000 mercury grand marquis that I have

Customer Question

***** *****, I ha e a 2000 mercury grand marquis that I have had for 4 years. Not long after I got the car I had to replace all ball joints. It was Maki g that creaking noise.I had it done an auto repair shop and they said it was because when I was getting g my oil the joints weren't getting greased. They greased them and it took care of the issue for about a month. I was so irritated I drove it that way about 18 months. I took it to a different repair shop and they said the ball joints were bad due to being over tightened. They replaced the ball joints and a control arm. Two years have passed and the ball joints need replaced again. This seems to be the only issue I have with this car. What do you think the p
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Do you know what the root issue might be that is causing this. The car only has 130,000 miles on it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercury Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
greetings, I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having with this vehicle.
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
These vehicles are really good vehicles. they do have ball joints that fail but not as frequently as you have.
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
when they were bad or overtightened did they show you how they were bad. Generally a good shop will set the vehicle suspension up(support the lower arm) and show you how much the wheel moves and point to the movement at the ball joint. It makes me wonder when the shop said the balljoints were overtightened
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
the ball joints are pressed into the control arm and the threaded end of the joint fits into the knuckle with a tapered fit. A nut is tightened but cannot see that affecting the preload of the ball joint.
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
very common for the creaking noise with original ball joints when water or moisture gets in to the joint. The can even get so bad it is hard to move them or steer the vehicle.
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
what brand parts were used. If poor quality parts were used they could fail but even then how many miles?
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
it is important regularly grease the front end/suspension but ball joints should not fail this often.
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
you are allowed to ask for the old parts, that can keep guys honest. I feel terrible about what has happened to you, there are many dishonest shops/mechanics around.
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
​MOOG or Ford parts work good and are quality parts for this vehicle