Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

Mercury Mountaineer: 06 Mountaineer. Orange wrench light comes

Customer Question
06 Mountaineer. Orange wrench light...
06 Mountaineer. Orange wrench light comes on after driving about 2-4 miles. Code reads P0741. Also got idle control issues when it's started when it's warm.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercury
4/1/2016
Mercury Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician
Hello, my name is***** engine do you have? Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4.0
How does vehicle shift? This code pretty much always means transmission failure.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Shifts perfectly fine. But had it plugged in while driving and TC didn't seem to lock in. 300rpm difference right when orange wrench light came on.
If it seems to shift fine otherwise then you may have a wiring problem or failed PCM. Set up a jumper wire into pin 46, Violet and Grey wire at the powertrain control module, Black 50 pin connector. Use this wire to provide a ground for this pin while driving. This should make the TCC solenoid engage, and the TCC should then engage while driving. If this does not engage the TCC, test the circuit between the powertrain control module and the transmission, it is a Violet and Grey wire, pin 46 at the PCM, pin 4 at the transmission. If the circuit is good, suspect internal transmission. If grounding the circuit at the PCM engages the TCC, but it will not engage on its own, and the code P0741 comes back on every road test, suspect PCM. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions. Thanks.
Dan, Technician