Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

My 2010 Mercury Milan stopped dead while driving. Park Ford

Customer Question

My 2010 Mercury Milan stopped dead while driving. Park Ford dealership in Mahopac, NY diagnosed "KOEO NO COMMUNICATION WITH THE PCM. MANUAL ENTRY A ND NET WORK TEST FOUND COUPLE OF MODULES NOT RESPONDING TO THE SCAN TOOL. CK THE PCM POWER FUSES AND PCM RELAY. HAD POWER ONLY AT THE PCM RELAY AND FUEL PUMP. TRACED THE WIRING FOR THE PCM AND THE STARTER SYSTEM AND PINPOINTED A BLOWM FUSE IN THE SJB# ***** 20 AMP FOR THE IGNITION SWITCH." They replaced it and the car works, but they can not tell me the cause of the blown fuse. I am worried the fuse will blow again when I am driving, next time on a highway or in a busy intersection. Can you advise? Has this problem been reported in the past?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I work at a Ford dealer and this fuse to blow on the Milan is not a common problem. Fuses almost always only blow when something has shorted. So without finding the cause then it would say it is likely that it will happen again. That does not mean it will, but I would consider it likely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Is this the entire answer that I am supposed to pay $38 for? I am asking because the issue remains unresolved. I need to know how to prevent this in future or the car is basically a death trap.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

You are paying for a chat. The only way to prevent this is to find what shorted. Unfortunatly it is not easy, and near impossible to find a short that is only intermittant.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am definitelt not paying $38 for this answer.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

At this point, you can really only perform a visual inspection of your cars wiring to see if you can find a problem. When the short is constant and blowing the fuse immediately the short is much easier to find.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Since it is the ignition switch fuse the wiring I would inspect would be the wiring under the steering the column. Do you have a remote start installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the dealer
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

That would be the first place to start looking for a short. Remote start wires need to connect to ignition wires. A wire could be routed near something metal and shorted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric, I do appreciate your reply but I am unsatisfied with this response. I do not agree to pay the $33. The website clearly states that I don't have to pay unless i am satisfied with the reply. I get that this is not your issue, I will take it up with my cc company.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

What about my responses are you not getting the info you want?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have contacted my credit card company and will call the website customer service line. I thought customer satisfaction was guaranteed. I the site administrator(s) should honor that promise. I understand that this has nothing to do with you personally or your qualifications as a Ford expert. Thank you for your effort.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

OK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not want to be contacted by another mechanic, thank you anyway.