Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I need to change front brake pads. Last time I attempted it,

Customer Question
I need to change...

I need to change front brake pads. Last time I attempted it, the replacement pads were the usual shape except for a cut out on top and bottom that looked like a tab. I was able to get the old pads out, but couldn't negotiate new ones in. Is there a trick to this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mercury. The Mercury Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes if possible

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Mercury Mechanic should know about your Mercury?

I've done several brake jobs on my Explorers in the past. The Mountaineer is supposed to be the same basic vehicle

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercury
2/29/2016
Mercury Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

You should be able to snap the pads onto the calipers after retracting the piston in the caliper then slip them over the rotor.

What year of Mercury Moutaineer are you working on and where are you purchasing the pads?

2007 mountaineer and pads purchased from Napa

It is the ears that you had trouble sliding onto the caliper abutments? Not the top and bottom of the pads but the ends?

that's the part

You install the spring shims over the caliper supports and slide the pads onto the supports from the inside and outside.

Do you have the rotor loose or secured with a lugnut? If the rotor is loose it is tough to get the pad on.

Once you have the pads on and the pistons in the caliper retracted (use a caliper push tool (screw type) and a old brake pad) to push them back the caliper can be pulled into the lower mount and swung down over the pads.

is that what you are having trouble with?

that's it. I'm going to try again. Wish me luck!

Great, I looked for a procedure or video that shows exactly how to do this but the realy key is put a lugnut on the stud to hold the rotor in place and slip the pads on then put the caliper over the pads and install the bolts in the caliper.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you