rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 97 merury villager I won't crank nor does it have a

Customer Question

I have a 97 merury villager I won't crank nor does it have a click when you turn it over but all the lights still come on tried to jump start that didn't work
Category: Mercury
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

The battery can still be too low to operate the starter but allow the lights to work, so be sure the battery is good, then check your cables at both ends for any corrosion and check the starter and solenoid.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All that was check and works fine
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Okay then check for power coming out of the power distribution box under the hood to the ignition switch.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All fuses there was checked
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Not asking about fuses, I'm talking about power going to the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you show me a picture where that's at
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you straight wire the solenoid it cranks
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Then the wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid is bad, or the problem is the ignition switch itself.

Thanks again,Ron