Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

04 monterey 4.2 p0190 p0191 changed the pressure sensor and…

Customer Question
04 monterey 4.2 p0190 p0191...
04 monterey 4.2 p0190 p0191 changed the pressure sensor and fuel filter
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercury
Idk what it could be it backfires and if you floor the gas it will miss and if u slowly let off the gas it will straighten up some
2/28/2016
Mercury Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master replied 2 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master

Hi. Sounds like you might have a Mass Air Flow Sensor issue. Can you disconnect the MAF sensor on the airbox and see if it operates differently? Then please let me know.

I did that and it shuts the car off i use my scanner and that same code comes up

Ok. Those codes are for the fuel rail pressure sensor circuits. Since the sensor is new, the cause of the codes is probably a broken or chaffed or corroded wire on one of the wires from the sensor to the pcm.

My scanner says fp vac psi 20.0 is that the fuel pressure

The scanners I see use FRP for fuel rail pressure. If that is, it is too low. That sounds like it is engine vacuum.

do u think the pcm got wet what do u recomend me doing i took the negative terminal off for 15 min and as soon as i put it back on it ran great till it warmed up then started again p0191and p0174 idk
I dont hear any vacum leaks when i disconnect the fuel pressure sensor there is vacum

You have circuit codes so you need to either trace the wiring back and look for chaffing. Or you need to access the vehicles computer and then check the resistance of the wires from the pcm to the fuel pressure sensor.

u dont think its the fuel pump

Low fuel pressure can cause the p0174 and p0191. The p0190 can only be set by a circuit. Could it be possible that the p0190 was set by accident from you disconnecting the connector on the sensor?

Im sorry it was a type error it is p0191 and p0174 thats it

Alright. You should either check the fuel pressure manually, try a pump, or make sure you are reading the correct reading from the sensor with your scan tool.

Ok i will try the pump then should i change anything else?

No. You already did a filter, which is usually done with a pump.

When you remove the pump take notice if there is debris in the fuel tank or not.

Ok well tyvm appreciate all your help

You are welcome. If you need more assistance later on please request me and we can continue.

Can i come back to this conversation and talk to u

Yes. You can bookmark the page and come back. Hope I have been of assistance. Please rate my service and let me know the outcome.

I def will tyvm

Sounds good.

Ok changed the pump and still same thing

There must be something that is being over looked. The computer is adding a lot of fuel to bank 2 indicated by the p0174. Reasons for p0174 could be these:Fuel System.

• Fuel pressure regulator (leaking, faulty).
  • Fuel filter plugged, dirty.
  • Fuel pump (weak, check valve leaking).
  • Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.
  • Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
  • EVAP canister purge valve leaking (when the canister is clean).
  • Fuel supply line restricted.
  • Fuel rail pressure sensor (incorrect reading).
  • Ethanol content in the fuel

Air Induction System.

• Air leaks after the MAF.
  • Vacuum leaks.
  • PCV system (leak or valve stuck open)
  • Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.
  • Air induction turbulence due to incorrect air filter.

Exhaust System.

• Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss (exhaust manifold gasket, mating gaskets)

EGR system.

• Vacuum hose disconnected on EGR System Module (ESM) applications
  • EGR valve tube/gasket leak
  • EVR solenoid vacuum leak

Secondary Air Injection.

• Damaged/malfunctioning secondary air injection system (mechanically stuck valve).

Air Measurement System.

• MAF sensor (contaminated, damaged, or faulty
EricFromCT
EricFromCT