Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 Mercury sable wagon, .51 amp draw

Customer Question
2000 Mercury sable wagon, .51 amp draw
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercury
1/29/2016
Mercury Mechanic: Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Have you removed fuses to see when draw goes away?

Fuse #16
Where did u go?

I will be just a minute.

Fuse 16 is for the air bag system. Have you had any repairs recently?

No, my manual says flasher, gem, ICP, RCC memory and cluster
16, inside panel
Mercury Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

The expert which was helping has opted out.

So you remove fuse 16 and the draw drops to an acceptable level below 60 milliamps 0.060 amps?

Was the door closed when you removed this fuse?

What is fuse #16, inside panel, to u? I had to look up a manual online in curious if it's correct

Thanks for answering both of those questions.

What we need to do is remove things on this circuit by unplugging them then retest with the fuse in place to see if the draw remains or is gone. If gone then plug each back in one by one till the draw returns. Can you unplug the:

remote climate control module

instrument cluster

multifunction switch

integrated control panel

I left the GEM module plugged up since its the most likely culprit in this circuit. So I expect the draw to remain meaning a new GEM is needed.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Unplugged each one and replaced GEM module, from a junkyard, no change

So with every single thing on the circuit unplugged the draw remained?

Unplugging gem module doesn't change it, unplugging the middle connector on front of fuse panel does make the draw go awa
with everything unplugged, no change

Thanks, ***** ***** means its a wire or fuse box issue. We now need to remove fuse box connector A, remove pin 15 white/red wire, reconnect the connect and test. If the draw is gone then it is the wiring. If the draw remains then its the fuse box bad. See the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/270A.pdf

Replaced fuse panel also

Is there anything else you have done to prevent me from providing the diag steps for things you have already done?

I'm pretty sure that's it, if it's the wire, what do I do to fix it?

Unplug the connector I sent earlier, and everything on the circuit. Then OHM test this wire to ground. There should not be continuity but based on the steps you have taken it will show continuity. Can you confirm this prior to me moving forward on going into the wire harness.

No, I can tomorrow, when I go back to work, if there's continuity there's a problem, so rewire?

Tomorrow will be fine. Continuity means there is a problem, no continuity means all prior tests need to be redone.

Rewire some or all of the circuit would be needed if the wire is shorted to ground.

I will message u tomorrow, thank u

Sounds good, I log on at 3pm, its 10pm here now for reference.

Same

Super

Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician