Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1995 Mercury. Left head light cuts out after 90 seconds.

Customer Question
Suspect light bulb, socket, or...
1995 Mercury. Left head light cuts out after 90 seconds. Suspect light bulb, socket, or ballast. Dealer wants to replace computer for $1,900. Hopefully, you have something else.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercury
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/18/2016
Mercury Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

mercury what? have you tried any of those parts you mentioned yet, except of course for the computer?

You never said what model this is and you might as well tell me what the engine is, too.

Okay, here is all the information I have: 2005 Mercury Montago six cylinder. If you need it, I can retrieve the VIN.

Ok, while I look the wiring diagram and/or tsb's can you answer have you tried any of those parts you mentioned yet, except of course for the computer?

At first you said 1995, now you say 2005. yeah, you should give me the vin!

Replaced the light bulb but resulted in the same effect.
Sorry for the confusion-it is a 2005.

there is a tsb on "headlamps flickering intermittently, with no key in the ignition."

Does it do this at all?

It says to Reprogram the smart junction box (SJB). Here it is, just in case I find nothing else wrong,

I just tried it with the key in the ignition. The car is not here right at the moment.

A lot better than replacing the computer.

Tried what "with the key in the ignition"?

How can you say "I just tried it" and "The car is not here right at the moment"?

That doesn't make sense.

Are these High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps?

I see there is a ballast on each headlight so I seriously doubt if both ballasts could be bad.

Are both headlights flickering and both high and low beams on both sides?

If it's just the high beams doing this try a new high beam relay in the smart junction box.

Okay, it is a relative's car and I tried it this afternoon. I am back at my house e-mailing you. I have printed out the download and will take it to a mechanic tomorrow. By the way, it is only the left headlight that is causing the problem. Is there a case number ***** can use when I attempt to contact you tomorrow?

Here is the wiring diagram for the High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps,

Just contact me back in here. OK, it's just the left, is it both high and low beams?

Okay, thanks for the diagram. I will let you know the progress tomorrow.

Ok, don't forget to rate me well if it's fixed tomorrow. Why could you not answer that last question though? We have gone so far and now you quit?

it's just the left, is it both high and low beams?

I have just tried it with low beams. They are HID lamps. It is just the left head light. I am stopping because dinner is ready. You have to set your priorities!

You said you tried it with low beams but you never sais what was the result?

You turn on the low beams with the key in the ignition. After a few seconds, the let head light starts to flicker. About 90 seconds, the light goes out. Have a good night!

Yeah.

Update: I have turned the diagrams over to my relatives who will turn them over to their mechanics. I will give you a report in a couple of days and submit a critique to this web site. Thanks!

ya