rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 1990 cougar ls and the evo valve on the power

Customer Question

i have a 1990 cougar ls and the evo valve on the power steering pump is leaking .i replaced the o ring seals but it is still leaking.i called my local dealer and he told me the part is no longer avilable (F0SZ-3783A)is there away to seal it or bypass it.or is there another replacement part out there
Category: Mercury
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

Your best bet if you can't find a replacement is an additive sealer to the power steering pump. I'm not usually a fan of doing this, but it's better than losing your steering while driving down the road, and they do seal leaks pretty well.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i knew that you were going to tell me to put sealer in my pump i would have never done this.this is a rip off,for someone in the business that long,and i to have been in the trade that long thats no ansewer anyone could have done that i gave you a part number.what a joke i just blew $24.00 for nothing thanks a lot
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

We're not miracle workers, nor can we get you a pump that doesn't exist. My advice to you was the best available considering the circumstances. Sorry you can't see that.

Thanks again, Ron