Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs
7276279

I have a 1997 mercury grand marquis with 285000 miles. It is

Customer Question

I have a 1997 mercury grand marquis with 285000 miles. It is a great car, I tried to start this morning but would'nt, I don't want to spend a lot of money on it due to its age and mileage, any ideas
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

When you say it would not start are you saying it would not crank over or dose it crank over and just not fire up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does crank fine but won't fire up
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay, take a look at the check engine light when you turn the key on, it should come on with the key and go out while cranking, check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the check engine light does come on
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay does it go out while cranking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay if the light come on and goes out while cranking that means the computer is powering up and its seeing the signal from the crankshaft position sensor which should fire the coils and pulse the injectors, if you cycle the key off and on can you hear the fuel pump priming?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay with the amount of mile you have on the car then I suspect that your fuel pump has failed. You can verify this by taking your 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and see if you get key on cranking power to the pump at the pump connector on the pink/black power supply wire. If you have key on cranking voltage on this wire and the pump dose not run then that means the pump has failed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does it make economic sense to replace as I think it is expensive?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the car runs well normally and has no other issue it does, it really comes down to how much you want to keep the car as to weather its worth it to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could you give me a ball park figure as to what the repair cost might be if a fuel pump
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You are looking at about 2 hours to drop the tank and replace the pump and you can purchase an after market pump for about $135 .00 at auto parts stores such as Auto Zone so your really not looking at to much of an expense. I would ball park it at about $300 depending on the repair shop labor rate.

See the Auto Zone pump in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

http://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/fuel-pump/delphi-fuel-pump/340663_0_4921/?cmpid=PS:1:1:21

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Your very welcome and thank you as well, Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.