Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

I have a 1997 mercury grand marquis with 285000 miles. It is

Customer Question
a great car, I tried...
I have a 1997 mercury grand marquis with 285000 miles. It is a great car, I tried to start this morning but would'nt, I don't want to spend a lot of money on it due to its age and mileage, any ideas
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercury
11/5/2015
Mercury Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question,

When you say it would not start are you saying it would not crank over or dose it crank over and just not fire up?

it does crank fine but won't fire up

Okay, take a look at the check engine light when you turn the key on, it should come on with the key and go out while cranking, check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.

the check engine light does come on

Okay does it go out while cranking?

Okay if the light come on and goes out while cranking that means the computer is powering up and its seeing the signal from the crankshaft position sensor which should fire the coils and pulse the injectors, if you cycle the key off and on can you hear the fuel pump priming?

no

Okay with the amount of mile you have on the car then I suspect that your fuel pump has failed. You can verify this by taking your 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and see if you get key on cranking power to the pump at the pump connector on the pink/black power supply wire. If you have key on cranking voltage on this wire and the pump dose not run then that means the pump has failed.

does it make economic sense to replace as I think it is expensive?

If the car runs well normally and has no other issue it does, it really comes down to how much you want to keep the car as to weather its worth it to you.

could you give me a ball park figure as to what the repair cost might be if a fuel pump

You are looking at about 2 hours to drop the tank and replace the pump and you can purchase an after market pump for about $135 .00 at auto parts stores such as Auto Zone so your really not looking at to much of an expense. I would ball park it at about $300 depending on the repair shop labor rate.

See the Auto Zone pump in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

http://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/fuel-pump/delphi-fuel-pump/340663_0_4921/?cmpid=PS:1:1:21

thank you

Your very welcome and thank you as well, Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician