Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs
7276279

When

Customer Question

when
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
phone number(###) ###-####24 hours
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no power to black/orange wires at ignition switch connecter when ignition switch is removed .head lights, power locks,power seat belt,interior lights work.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Can you please explain what type of problem you are having and what it is that you are trying to repair with full details and I will try and help you get this resolved. Post back with full details and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I try to start the car the starter doesn't start and most power thruout the car is dead. replaced ignition switch,no power to black/orange wires at ignition switch connecter. rats got in the car years ago and chewed and peed on the inside of the dash. when ignition switch is removed,power to interior lights and headlights but when ignition switch is replaced these have little to no power. electrical problem is intermittent because if I shake the ignition switch assembly there is power for a split second.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

All power to the igntion switch come from the fuse link wires located on the starter relay, start with checking to see if any if them are blown, there located on the starter relay on the same post that the positive battery cable connects to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked wires and fuses in this region-positive battery post ,fender mounted starter solenoid, fuses and wires at fuse box under the hood near starter solenoid. just a quick visual inspection - no electrical continuity testing, seems normal, problem at ignition switch gets power for a brief second if I jiggle the key-seems more like a loose connection especially with rat problem years ago. there are two small box shaped plug in devices in the fuse panel in the engine compartment -cant see inside them to check them. also jump started the car with polarity reversed years ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I put the ignition switch back in the headlights will not work, when I unplug the ignition switch , the headlights work.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Take a look at the power distribution diagram in the link below, its going to come down to tracing the circuit from the fuse link wires to the power distribution box into the ignition switch. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Power%20distribution%20Nov%203.pdf