Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

The brake lights, reverse lights, turn signals front and

Customer Question

The brake lights, reverse lights, turn signals front and back and emergency lights do not work. The front side white lights turn on and stay constant when using the blinker. This first started one day when I puahed the blinker switch and I heard the fuse blow. Now the #1 fuse slot blows a new fuse immediately on contact.
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Ok, fuse #1 goes to the multi-function switch on the steering column, the brake switch at the brake pedal, cruise control and the turn signal switch.

Start by disconnecting the brake switch above the brake pedal, insert a new fuse and see if it blows. If it doesnt, then either the switch has an internal short or a short in the wiring to it. Replace switch and if fuse blows again, you will have to physically trace the wiring under the dash from the fuse box to the brake switch.

If the fuse blows with the brake switch disconnected, then you will need to remove the steering column covers and disconnect the multifunction switch, turn signal switch and cruise control switch one at a time and insert new fuse until it doesnt blow when one is disconnected and then replace that switch and if still blows, physically trace the wiring

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me which connector is for which switch on the miltifunction switch and should i test every single wire?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
or every pin?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

HI,

I have uploaded the connector pinouts for you

On the large, really odd shaped one, tested each pin. On the smaller one, test pins 1, 4, and 7

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only pins that are testing hot on the odd shaped one are 1 and 4 .
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

HI,

Ok, you have power into the multifunction switch but none out. That means that you need to replace the switch

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so thatI may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks