Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

Mercury mariner: my 2006 mercury mariner is cutting out when

Customer Question
my 2006 mercury mariner is...
my 2006 mercury mariner is cutting out when i hit bumps.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercury
7/20/2015
Mercury Mechanic: ironmike, ASE Master Tech L1 replied 2 years ago
ironmike
ironmike, ASE Master Tech L1
greetings
what does the instrument cluster do when this happens? any lights come on before or when it stalls?
have you had the vehicle scanned for trouble codes?
Nothing comes on before it stalls. The check engine light (OBD) does not or is not on. It starts back up with no problem.
I had it to the dealer in January and they installed a new PCM and alternator.
sorry for the delay, long day at work.
I would be checking for a loose ground or loose power supply. You did not tell me if they found any codes. Usually they like codes with strong direction to replace a PCM or any module.
In my experience it is far more common for an issue like this to be a loose ground, loose pin fit in a connector or at the component or a SLB(smart junction box) fuse box or even a relay.
as hard as it can be to duplicate this we must or we take the chance or replacing parts for nothing. I would see about getting the dealer to at least eat the labor if not all the parts you just had replaced.
I try to move the wire harness of the suspected fault area and duplicate the stall. Could be the instrument cluster, throttle body or a ground in the engine compartment. They call this the wiggle test.
the fire wall under the hood has one major ground the check. the left and right side inside the fenders under the hood have grounds too. There is one under the air filter housing to check.if you can find out any codes the dealer found
if the dealer made the time they could use the scanner and watch live data and catch the fault. Not easy but can be done if you know what to watch
obd light came on took it to autozone and code the code p0320.
did the dealer check the ignition coils? no codes previously? do you have the 3.0L v-6?
p0320 could be caused by ignition, alternator, PCM. I would have checked the crank sensor and connector first.
I would make sure the terminal fit in the crank sensor connector is tight. The crank sensor is under or behind the alternator.
Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician