Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

I have a 1999 Mercury marquise with a V8, auto trans, vin#

Customer Question
***** its holding a code...
I have a 1999 Mercury marquise with a V8, auto trans, vin# ***** its holding a code for a misfire in cylinder 8. I thought it was the coil over the plug on number 8 as it had been on two previous incidents.. when I pulled the coil n boot I
found oil down in the spark plug hole. I then checked a couple more on the same side with the same results. the oil is not low nor contaminated. the coolant water is now low and has been in the past.. which resulted in a overheating episode in Jan 2015. do
u have any recommendations for what to do next?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercury
7/8/2015
Mercury Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master replied 2 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master
Hi. For oil in the spark plug hole you should be inspecting the valve cover gasket on the top edge near the intake. A leaking valve cover gasket will get hole into the spark plug holes. That is the most common reason to see oil there.
I am not sure if you change your own oil. An oil spill on the engine from filling will run down the valve cover on top and drain into the spark plug holes. Please respond if you have more questions or info to add. Thanks.
the car has terrible misses n barely runs. it still holds a code for a misfire in cylinder 8?
one of buddies says its the intake manifold gasket?
can ubgive me steps for checking intake manifold?
or could it be a head gasket?
That is possible as well. To check if the intake gasket is leaking you can start the car and let it idle. Use brake cleaner and spray the bottom of the intake where it meets the cylinder head. If you notice a change in the vehicles rpms then the gasket is leaking. As it should not be sucking in outside fuel or air. A head gasket can cause a misfire on a cylinder.
also oil was found in multiple holes if not all holes. sorry if I didn't get that across on first question.
Yes I was under that impression.
so r u still leaning to it being the valve cover gasket? should I do a compressing test??do u have any suggestions on getting the oil out of thdddsssm
Yes. I do not see a reason for a compression test at this time. But oil in the spark plug holes is generally caused by valve cover gaskets.
To get oil out of the spark plug holes you should used compressed air to blow it out.
Thank you for viewing my response. Let me know if you have more questions and please rate the service provided.
EricFromCT
EricFromCT