Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

Merc Grand Marquis: Have a code 33 on a 06 Merc. It has 2.0

Customer Question
Have a code 33 on...
Have a code 33 on a 06 Merc. It has 2.0 ohms at yellow plug on belt tensioner.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercury
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2015
Mercury Mechanic: FSM09, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
FSM09
FSM09, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. When you used a 3ohm resistor did the light go out?
No the light didn't go out. It still flashes a code 33 and it bongs 25 times.
The passenger side tensioner has 2.0 ohms with a Fluke. I thought that might be too low so I tried a 3.0 ohm across the yellow connector. The driver side is open so a 3.0 ohm resistor has been soldered across the yellow connector. Still get a code 33
on the light and the 25 bongs are driving me to the rubber room.
Does the control module have to be reset??
Code 33 is actually for the driver side pretensioner. Code 34 is for the passenger side 1.5-3.5 is the resistance of the belt pretensioner. If you test the driver side what do you get for resistance?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
The drivers side was open. This is why I soldered the 3.0 ohm resistor across the wires from the yellow connector.The passenger side is in limits with 2.0 ohms. The airbag light still flashes code 33. Does the module need to be reset or
should the code clear when the pretensioner resistance is correct?
BTW; One of the online code charts identifies code 33 as a passenger side pretensioner problem. This is not correct
since the driver side was open which is why I soldered in the 3 ohm resistor .
I'm at work so I will double check the resistance. The air bag light will reset itself if the code isn't detected anymore. 3 ohms might be slightly high so I will double check.
FSM09
FSM09
FSM09, ASE Certified Technician