HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years experience Ford Senior Master Technician/Diesel certified ASE Master Technician
285738

I have a 2004 Mercury Sable with 119k on it. It idles at

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Mercury Sable with 119k on it. It idles at around 600-800 RPMs and jumps when at a stop with foot on brake and when accelerating out of a stop. My check transmission light also comes on intermittenly, more so when moving at higher rates of
speed 65+ recently had work done on it. I did put some premium gas in it yesterday it seemed to help. Your expertise is greatly appreciated.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 years ago.
Hello, you would need to have a diagnsotic check for codes done to see what code(s) are stored for the transmission concern. Most auto parts stores pull codes for free but might not be able to read the trans codes depending on the scanner they use. As for the erractic idle and surging I would suspect a vacuum leak ion the pcv valve hose or possible contaminated mass air flow sensor above the air filter. Inspect for any vacuum leaks and a hissing noise and repair if anything is found. The scan will also pull check engine light codes if any are stored
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What kind of costs are you talking about to repair? Is this the same as the Idle Air Bypass Valve?
I am just trying to keep it running without costing me to much until I can get a newer car by the end of the year.
Until now and some recent repairs I have had no troubles with this car whatsoever.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do recommend taking it to just an auto mechanic shop or an AAmco Transmission center?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 years ago.
Wont know on how much the transmission repair would be until you know why the check transmission light is coming on, can be a variety of things. The idle air control valve is on the intake, the pcv valve islocated in different locations depending on the type of engine is in the sable. AAmco can run a diagnostic on it if need be