Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Mercury Grand Marquis: 1998 Mercury Marquis 72 k goes fine

Customer Question

1998 Mercury Marquis 72 k goes fine til 60,70 or faster then after some time it slowes down by itself and won't accelerate unless I mash the gas a couple times and hold it right to the floor. Then it will gradually pick back up.I took it to Ford and they said the catilitic converters were pluged up and they could fix it for $800 + or recommended and gave me directions to a muffler shop who could do it for half. I did, he did it for $397.00,Duh quess what???? It stil does the same thing. Now what ?????????
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
When it will not accelerate, does it misfire or bog down?
Any warning lights on?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Using the information I have so far. I believe the issue is going to be the fuel pressure in this case.