A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

Mercury mariner: Our abs light is coming on intermittently

Our abs light is coming on intermittently and you can feel the abs system engaging when we are driving down hill and turning left. Any suggestions on what we cannot check or repair to repair this issue?

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

The first thing to do is stop by any auto parts store and have them check the codes in the ABS system. Since the light comes on, there is a code stored in the ABS module. The ABS system has a module and several sensors. Guessing is not an option when it comes to safe and proper brake operation.

Get the codes and post them on this page.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can check the codes while you are o line I have a code reader in my garage

No problem. I'll be on here for a little while longer tonight.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The codes I got were U2023 malfunction & B1234 speed wheel RF speed reference is missing

Ok, lets look at the right front wheel speed sensor.

Check the wiring from the sensor at the RF wheel and follow the wiring into the engine compartment. The harness goes through the RF wheel well and comes out behind the RF strut tower brace in the engine compartment. Make sure the harness is intact and not damaged.

Then unbolt the sensor from the RF spindle and check for any metal shavings on the sensor magnet., You will have to remove the RF wheel to get to the sensor. If everything looks good, replace the RF wheel speed sensor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I reach you tomorrow when it's light out and I can take the wheel off?

Sure can. I'll be at work at the dealership, it is my Saturday to work. I'll get an email when you reply and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I found the sensor ring is cracked and loose. Is hard to get to the sensor ring and replace it ?

To get the sensor ring, you have to get the axle shaft, or at least that end of the CV shaft. The spindle and rotor have to come off to replace it.