Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

Mercury Grand Marquis: Changed the fuel pump in my 1999 mercury

Customer Question
Changed the fuel pump in...
Changed the fuel pump in my 1999 mercury grand Marquis and the relay, and the fuel pump is stll not getting any power
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mercury
2/12/2012
Mercury Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician replied 5 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Is the fuel pump relay clicking under your finger when you are turning the key to the run position?

Yes

Is there power coming in and going out at the inertia switch when testing within the first 5 seconds of the key being turned from off to the run position?

There is power but it seems to be a low voltage power .. Test light barley glows

If you unplug the inertia switch and do the test again on the dark green/ yellow wire do you get full voltage then?

I haven't check that but did jumper across to bypass and that made no difference

Your going to need a volt meter to accurately test this. A test light is not going to do it. You have power right before the fuel pump but the light is dim so we do not know if the pump is trying to use that power and the circuit is low on amps or the circuit is low on amps prior to even getting to the pump. So far its looking like a wire thats faulty and has resistance or the pump has a poor ground. Use the diagram below if needed

http://www.mediafire.com/?x9szddbpt5d68lj

Thanks for coming to Just Answer to get a answer to your question. Here at Just Answer the word ACCEPT is used often and to accomplish different things. Accept means your happy with the answer, got an answer that was helpful, the expert solved your concern or got you headed in the right direction. Pressing accept also means you pay the expert, but it does not mean the post is closed, you can always reply on this post. When you sign up on Just Answer, you place a deposit, with your money, and you put that in your Just Answer account. When you press accept the website gets a portion of that and so does the expert.

I work here part time to help pay my bills. I spend a good amount of my time on this computer using information sites that I pay for to make sure I get you the best answer at a much cheaper bill than if you went to your local dealer. Average hourly charges at a dealer service department are 98$ an hour.

If you do like my answer and plan to accept, please do so by pressing the accept button, or reply and say I accept. If you plan to accept but just later, please reply and let me know. If you plan not to accept for any reason, please reply and let me know why. At least then I can better word my answer or add more details if that's whats needed. If its not then please continue to reply so I can learn why, so I can better assist the next customer. If you fail to press accept and just log off, don't think your deposit is going to pay the expert, or your money will be refunded if you don't press accept. You were still charged, and the money is still in your account, and your the only one whom can pay the expert by pressing accept. The website has a 100% satisfaction guarantee, I do as well, I want to make sure and go above and beyond your expectations.

I am Glad you allowed me the chance to help you, I hope I saved you some money. I appreciate the funds from pressing accept, it will help my family out.

Chris

Will you email me the diagram please. [email protected]
The website blocks your email and I am not allowed to email you anyways. You can open it above and save it or print it.
, i wish to continue to be able to ask questions. This is a new direction that we haven't headed in.. I do plan to accept
Glad I could help

ok so i mixed up my engines... its a 8 cylnder, and when we unplugged the inertia switch and tested the green wire with a volt meetr while turning the key on for 5 seconds we only got 7 volts

The engine does not matter, I knew what you meant since the 4.6 is the only option.

Okay check the fuse that powers the switch side of the relay before and during this same test with the inertia switch unplugged. We need to see where your losing 5 volts with nothing on the circuit even being used.

Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
thanks for you help with this.. you were able to get us going in the right direction.. we just recently were able to find a broken wire... from the fuse to the relay.. repaired the wire and now im off and running
Good job
Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician