Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

1994 Mercury Sable: I need to replace the water pump..station wagon

Customer Question
I need to replace the...
I need to replace the water pump on a 1994 Mercury Sable station wagon. What needs to be moved or removed from the car to gain access to the pump?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mercury
8/11/2011
Mercury Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 6 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

just remove the belt and belt tensioner:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the cooling system.
  2. Loosen the drive belt tensioner, then remove the drive belts.
  3. Remove the two nuts and bolt retaining the drive belt tensioner to the engine.
  4. Disconnect the heater hose at the water pump.
  5. Remove the four water pump pulley bolts. The pulley will remain loose on the hub because there is insufficient room between the inner fender and the water pump, restricting removal from the vehicle.
  6. Remove the water pump-to-engine retaining bolts, then lift the water pump and pulley assembly out of the vehicle.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 12: Water pump and gasket mounting-3.8L engine

To install:
  1. Lightly oil all bolt and stud threads before installation except those that require sealant. Thoroughly clean the water pump and front cover gasket contact surfaces.
  2. Position the new water pump gasket on the pump sealing surface using Gasket and Trim Adhesive D7AZ-19B508-B or equivalent.
  3. With the water pump pulley positioned on the water pump hub, position the water pump on the engine front cover, then install the retaining bolts. Tighten the retaining bolts to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).

There are two different length of bolts used to retain the water pump. Install the bolts as shown in the accompanying figure or damage to the engine may occur.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 13: 3.8L engine water pump retaining bolt locations. Since two bolt lengths are used, install the bolts as shown to prevent possible damage to the engine

1. Install the water pump pulley bolts, then tighten the bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (21 Nm).
  2. Connect the heater water hose to the water pump.
  3. Install the drive belt tensioner to the engine front cover, then install the drive belt.
  4. Connect the negative battery cable, then fill the cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of approved coolant and water. Start and run the engine until in reaches normal operating temperatures, then check for leaks and check the coolant level.
There is only one belt (serpentine). The water pump is barely visible from a top down view. There is no room to get a wrench down to pull the bolts. The alternator, power steering unit and God knows what else get in the way. This isn't a simple simon job. Access from under the car is about the same story. What do you suggest?

sorry, pulled directions for wrong engine. Diagrams for 3.8L are correct though. it is a 3hr labor job.

Removal

1.Disconnect negative battery cable and drain cooling system.
Remove lower nut on both right-hand engine mounts. Raise engine.
Remove accessory drive belt and water pump pulley. Remove air
suspension pump (if equipped). Remove power steering with hoses
attached and set aside (if equipped).
2.Remove A/C compressor front bracket and leave compressor
attached (if equipped). Disconnect by-pass and heater hose from
water pump. Remove water pump bolts. Note bolt location and if
sealant was applied to bolt threads. Remove water pump and
gasket.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager