Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

1995 mercury sable: to jerk..driving down..spark plugs..rotor

Customer Question
What can cause a 1995...
What can cause a 1995 mercury sable to jerk while driving down the road? The spark plugs have been replaced. The rotor and distributer have been replaced. Fuel injection cleaner has been added to the fuel tank. No code comes up when put on the machine. Help!!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mercury
5/1/2011
Mercury Mechanic: Thomas, Mercury Technician replied 6 years ago
Thomas
Thomas, Mercury Technician

Thomas :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I will do my best to help you fix your automotive problem today.

Thomas :

Have you also replaced the spark plug wires?

JACUSTOMER-q2dw4x9g- :

No

JACUSTOMER-q2dw4x9g- :

I have also replaced the pcv valve

Thomas :

You have a problem in your ignition system and you have covered everything else. If you replace the wires it should fix your problem.

JACUSTOMER-q2dw4x9g- :

I have a 98 jeep wrangler and it had a very simliar problem and i replaced the egr valve, it fixed the problem. I'm not sure what the egr valve does. Do you think thats a possiblity? The 1995 mercury does not jerk all of the time, but for the most part it does.

Thomas :

If your EGR valve was the cause it should set a check engine light.

JACUSTOMER-q2dw4x9g- :

We will try the new spark plugs wires. If this doesn't fix the problem, will i be allowed to ask more questions?

Thomas :

Yes you can no problem I will close the live chat session and you can pick it up when you like.

Thomas
Thomas, Mercury Technician
.

I changed the spark plugs wires in the car, and that did not fix the problem.

I changed the spark plugs wires in the car, and that did not fix the problem. The car still jerks when going down the road.

What should I try next???????

Ok sorry, Did you just replace the spark plugs? Or has it been a while?
Just replaced them last weekend.
At what speed does it jerk? All the time or just once in a while.

It used to be just once in a while, but now it seems like it jerks most of the time. The fluids have all been checked.

We are trying to get this repair done today.
Sorry I understand. The reason i ask is a torque converter shutter sometimes feels like a miss. But it only does this while shifting into O/D.
It feels like like the engine is missing or misfiring or something.
Did the problem start after replacing the plugs cap and button or you did that trying to fix the problem?
I did this trying to fix the problem.
?
Ok just wanted to make sure. It may have fowled out one of your new plugs from missing due to a bad plug wire. You may have to remove the plugs and inspect them to see if you can see a bad looking one or just replace them again.
I will look at the plugs again.
What if this is not the problem?

It has to be the ignition system if it is missing under a load. We just have to find out what the cause is.

What do we have to do to determine what is wrong with the ignition system.
Well thats the hard part if you could get it to miss sitting still by brake torquing the engine you could pull the plug wires and find out which cyl. is bad. The 1995 vehicles are not good about setting a code for the missing cly. So it is a matter of replacing parts until you fix it.
All the spark plugs look good.
What kind of spark plugs are you using?
Motorcraft
I am not satisfied with the information I have received today, and would like a refund of my 18.00 dollars!

The best for your car. I was wondering because I have had trouble with other brands. Disconnect the vacuum line to the egr valve and road test the car again see if the miss goes away. I have had the ports plug up and dump all the egr flow to one or two cylinders causing a miss.

It has started to rain here, and I am unable to work on the car at the moment. I will have to wait until the rain stops. I wil disconnect the vacuum line when I am able to work on it again.
Sorry for the delay, your car is not a easy fix. I am trying to help your car. Put you can get a refund if you like.
Ok let me know.

I took the vacuum line off of the egr valve, and its running fine, but sometimes it will run fine, so I don't know if this is the problem. No check engine light has come on yet.

Please advise!

You need to drive it a little more and see if it will miss again. If it doesn't miss anymore with the valve disconnected we know what direction to go. Also is your engine a 3.0l or a 3.8l?
The car has been driven for a couple of days, and it hasn't been jerking. The engine is a 3.01.
Ok good the cause must me the DPFE sensor it reads the exhaust pressure and sends it to the engine control module. Here is a picture of one.
Is this a dealer part or can it be purchased at the auto parts store?
You can get it at most all parts stores. I recommend NAPA or the dealer on engine electronic parts.
I will try this. Thanks! But, if this doesn't fix it, can I still ask questions?
Also, can you tell me where the DPFE is located on the engine.
Yes it is mounted on the intake manifold. Your year is a split year it may only have 1 tube going to it if so it is called a PFE sensor. Or it could be the 2 tube DPFE sensor. I have you a picture of both locations to help.

I have the EGR valve on the top of the engine like the second drawing. So I'm guessing the EGR Valve is the part that needs to be replaced, as I was thinking from the very beginning of these questions!

No there is nothing wrong with your EGR valve. If you disconnected the vacuum line to it and the problem went away, it is working as it should.
Thank you! I I will replace the sensor to see if this corrects the problem.
Your welcome
Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, Mercury Technician